Is acne the reason you ditched your friends for the movie last weekend? Or the reason behind you feeling better locked up in your room?
The pain of acne is real and you’re not alone. Did you know in the US alone about 50-60 million people suffer from acne? And believe it or not, it’s one of the biggest reasons for depression and social anxiety.
But we have the solution and no you won’t need to gobble down tons of pills as it’s all organic. Epsom salt for long has been touted as one of the best solutions for acne but before we tell you how to use it, let’s take a look at what makes it so effective.
Does Epsom Salt Really Work?
In simple terms, yes it works but you don’t have to take our word alone for it or the hundreds of articles you’ll find on the internet. It’s a tried and tested method and backed by science.
Just like you’d want to know what makes up the dish before you order food at a restaurant it’s important to know what makes Epsom salt so effective. Why not just use the table salt at home instead?
Unlike table salt, Epsom salt contains magnesium which gives the salt its acne curing powers (an important vitamin often missing in our diet).
Magnesium eases the nervous system which in turn helps fight stress (the most common reason for acne) and also soothes the pain and swelling during an acne breakout.
But magnesium alone won’t do the trick. Like any good magician, it needs good assistants and that’s where potassium, vitamin D, and zinc come into play while sulfur protects skin with its antibacterial, viral and fungal properties.
How can I use Epsom Salt to cure acne?
Now that you know why the Epsom salt is effective so let’s get down to a few methods to help you use it right.
1. A blend of Epsom Salt and Water
Who doesn’t love a quick 5-minute DIY solution right? Applying Epsom salt directly on the acne may cause burning and pain due to its abrasive nature. Mixing it with water dilutes it and helps in treating cystic acne, acne, and blackheads.
- Mix 2-3 tsp of Epsom salt with some lukewarm water.
- Continue to stir until mixed well and then apply to the affected areas using cotton.
- Once dried off (should take about 10-15 minutes) rinse your face first with warm water and then with cold water.
- Continue the process until fully healed.
Looking for an even more effective technique? If you’ve got a bathtub at home, then this one’s for you.
- Fill up your tub with lukewarm water and add 2-3 cups of Epsom Salt.
- Take a dip in the tub for about 20 minutes and rinse yourself off with regular water
- Continue with this once a day until fully healed.
Note: you can also add some sea salt and jojoba oil for softer smoother skin.
2. The Baking Soda Mix
Like Epsom Salt, baking soda to has medicinal properties. It makes for a great exfoliant and helps rid the skin of oil, in turn, providing the ideal fix for cystic acne.
- Mix 2 teaspoons of Epsom salt in some lukewarm water along with 1 teaspoon of baking soda.
- Continue to mix until it forms a smooth paste. Now apply it to the affected areas.
- Keep the paste on until dry and hard.
- Next up, rinse off the paste with warm water and continue to apply the same paste once a day until the cyst disappears.
3. The Honey, Olive oil and Epsom salt mask
Some acne can cause a lot of irritation and that’s where this honey and olive mask can save the day. The honey and olive oil soothe the skin while the salt helps eliminate impurities.
- Mix together 1 tablespoon of each of the required ingredients in a bowl of your choice.
- Rather than adding water squeeze a few drops of lemon as a mixing agent.
- The mask can be applied to both the face and the neck.
- Leave it on for about 20 minutes before you rinse it off with lukewarm water.
- Apply the mask each day until the acne is cured.
Do I need to take any precautions?
Before you rush off and start mixing the ingredients here are few safety tips to keep in mind.
Tip 1: Applying Epsom salt directly on your skin isn’t a quick-fire fix and can result in even more pain, swelling and burning so ensure you dilute it well.
Tip 2: Since magnesium will soak up some of the calcium during absorption throw in some calcium-rich foods into your diet for a daily boost.
Tip 3: Store the salt in dry and air-tight containers for the best results.
Advisory: Pregnant women and those suffering from digestive issues or are on medication for deficiency of vitamins and minerals are advised to contact their physician before applying Epsom Salt.
Don’t let acne become a roadblock as you strive to be the best day in and day out. Let that glowing smooth skin create an air of confidence and self-belief that makes people go, wow whose she 😉