The wonderful thing about using Epsom salt lotion is that if you can make it yourself and it is completely budget-friendly. The ingredients are all easily available and your family will love using it as their daily body lotion!
Here’s how you can make your own Epsom salt lotion at home:
Supplies You Will Need:
A clear glass bowl
8 Tablespoons Epsom Salt (magnesium sulfate)
½ Cup room temperature water
12 oz. lotion of your preference
1 Air-tight container
Before You Begin:
• The glass bowl should be microwave safe.
• The lotion you choose should have a thick consistency and should not contain petroleum or mineral oil as ingredients. The reason for this is because the oil ingredients will separate from the water once mixing together.
1. Measure 6 tablespoons of Epsom salt and add to a glass bowl.
2. Add ½ cup water and stir with a fork until the salts have dissolved.
3. Put the mixture in the microwave for 10-second intervals and stir until all particles have dissolved.
4. If the mixture is cloudy then stir until it becomes cleat
5. Add in the lotion a little at a time and stir until everything is well incorporated.
6. Pour the mixture into the containers and close the lid to seal in freshness.
This Epsom salt lotion is perfect to use on your whole body as it nourishes the skin and gives a natural glistering glow.
Benefits of Epsom Salt Lotion
A few common dietary habits that can reduce magnesium levels in the body include drinking alcohol, consuming processed foods and even drinking caffeine. A deficiency in magnesium can lead to calcium imbalance and symptoms like muscle cramps and headaches can occur.
Luckily, there is a fix to increase magnesium levels in the body. Epsom bath salts, scrubs, and lotions are among the most commonly used methods to help out. We all know that nothing is quite as good than soaking in a bath filled with Epsom salt. Your body almost instantly feels relaxed and rejuvenated, especially after a long day at work.
What else is Epsom Salt good for?
Removes dead skin
Using Epsom salt as a body scrub is also a great way to exfoliate the skin and get rid of dead skin cells. One of the major benefits of using it as a scrub is to help increase blood flow and promote circulation. Its granules moisturize the skin once lathered onto the surface, leaving you with smooth and healthy skin.
Helps treat athlete’s feet and toenail fungus
Athlete’s feet is a problem that most people will face at some point in their lives. Public bathrooms, showers, and dirty towels are all culprits of getting athletes feet. Toenail fungus, on the other hand, is more of a nuisance and fungi thrives in warm and moist environments.
A quick and easy Epsom salt water soak can help relieve both of these conditions. Mix together warm water and a few sprinkles of Epsom salt.
De-stresses and relaxes the mind and soul
A study found that Epsom salt is the perfect stress reliever. It reduces tension and anxiety and allows the body to relax, especially when soaking in the bath. Another unique way to use Epsom salt that can benefit you both mentally and physically is by turning it into a lotion to massage into the skin.