Ylang ylang, pronounced (ee-lang ee-lang) is a tree found in the rainforests of specific tropical islands. Its flowers have a lovely delicate fragrance that is pleasing to the senses. The essential oil of the ylang ylang tree is extracted by way of steam distillation from its fresh flowers. Naturopaths and aromatherapists use the ylang ylang essential oil benefits for various medicinal purposes. The best positive is that it blends well with other essential oils like sandalwood, lavender, grapefruits, and bergamot to enhance their benefits.
How to Apply Ylang Ylang Essential Oil Benefits
For Stress Relief
Ylang ylang essential oil can be used for massaging the shoulders, back, and feet to relieve stress. Yet another stress-relieving method is to add a few drops in an Epsom salt bath and soak for a while. Breathing in the scents of the ylang ylang plant can relax the mind and body and bring feelings of optimism and happiness. Patients going through extreme depression, anxiety, or a nervous breakdown can use the oil for uplifting their moods. Psychotherapists may also opt to use applications of the oil to help their patients.
For Skin and Hair Treatment
One of the best ylang ylang essential oil benefits is for the skin.
- Add a few drops of the oil to a steamer and give your skin a fresh, rejuvenated look.
- You can also use ylang ylang as an active moisturizing agent thanks to its soothing, anti-inflammatory properties.
- In case you have any skin conditions where you experience irritation and redness, applications of the essential oil can help by providing relief.
- As your skin specialist will tell you, ylang ylang can regulate the natural production of sebum in your skin.
- Cuts, wounds, bruises, insect bites, and infections caused by bacteria, viruses, or fungi all respond very well to applications of the essential oil because of its antimicrobial and antiseptic effects.
- Ylang ylang can be used to nourish your hair follicles and give you healthy, shiny hair. You can also use it for relief from problems like a dry, itchy scalp and hair loss. Massage a few drops into your scalp and allow to work for an hour. Shampoo normally afterward.
Conventional medications for high blood pressure typically have various side effects. But, ylang ylang essential oils are safe with no possibility of any adverse reactions. For this reason, you can use it as a stress reliever to help lower hypertension. You can add the oil to a diffuser and breathe regularly. Alternatively, place a few drops on a tissue and inhale deeply each time you start to feel tense and pressurized with palpitations.
For Disturbed Sleep Patterns
One of the prime ylang ylang essential oil benefits is that it can calm and soothe the mind. For this reason, people who have trouble falling asleep or with disturbed sleep patterns can use the scent for relief. Place a couple of drops on your pillow at night and avail of sedative effects of the aromas. Studies have shown that ylang ylang can harmonize the senses and bring a sense of well-being.
For Improving Libido
Loss of libido can have many reasons. And, the main cause in today’s times is severe psychological stress. Most of this stress comes from the pressures of balancing work and personal commitments. Experts believe environmental causes like pollution may also contribute to the problem. Breathe in the scents of ylang ylang, and you may find that the aroma acts as an aphrodisiac.
You can use ylang ylang to calm the nervous system and you will find that it works to boost memory and cognitive skills. Under the supervision of an expert naturopath, you can take the oil internally for relief from infections of the colon, stomach, urinary tract, and intestines. However, choose the premium grade oil that is 100% pure and use only a drop or two mixed with a fruit smoothie.
These are only some of the ylang ylang essential oil benefits. Use the aroma regularly and you will find good health and wellness returning.