Smooth, clear, glowing skin is something every girl wants, and most of us are willing to spend a good chunk of change to achieve it. But why pay top dollar for high-end exfoliators when you could make your own for a fraction of the cost? With just three simple ingredients, you can make this luxurious all-natural DIY sugar scrub with essential oils in minutes!
Benefits of The DIY Sugar Scrub Ingredients
White or brown sugar
Sugar gets a bad rep, but it actually makes a great natural exfoliator for the skin. Brown and white sugars are both great options for a sugar scrub; it really depends on what you want your scrub to look and smell like.
Want to have silky, moisturized skin all day? Well coconut oil is the answer. Coconut oil’s fatty acid content allows the oil to penetrate the cell membrane and really nourish and hydrate the skin. Remember that coconut oil often hardens in colder climates, so allow it to sit at room temperature or run under lukewarm water before using your sugar scrub.
Essential oils have a multitude of benefits for the skin, and the options are endless for which type of essential oils you use in your sugar scrub.
Peppermint Sugar Scrub- It’s so easy to make peppermint sugar scrub, and it makes a super cute Christmas gift! Use white sugar and peppermint essential oil, and for a fun twist add some organic red food coloring and layer white and red layers in a jar to resemble peppermint candy. The peppermint oil will leave your skin feeling cool and refreshed due to its menthol contents.
Gingerbread Sugar Scrub-This recipe is great for the holidays, and smells just like freshly baked gingerbread! Use brown sugar, ginger and orange essential oils to make this blend. Place in a jar and embellish with a ribbon and a stick of cinnamon. Orange oil is uplifting and cleansing to the skin, while ginger’s antioxidant properties will even skin tone and improve elasticity.
Citrus Sugar Scrub-A refreshing fragrance for summer, this recipe uses white sugar, lemongrass and lime essential oils. Add some lemon and lime zest for a little extra color and fragrance. The citrus oil will lift and energize your mood, and the bacterial properties of lemongrass and lime will have a deep cleansing effect on your skin.
Rosemary and Lavender Sugar Scrub-This recipe uses white sugar, rosemary and lavender essential oils. The sedative properties of lavender promote relaxation and soothe skin irritations while rosemary will help with acne and stretch marks. For added fragrance and benefits, add a few pinches of dried rosemary and lavender herbs.
Making The DIY Sugar Scrub
- 1 cup of white or brown sugar
- 1 cup of coconut oil
- 15-20 drops of essential oils of your choice
- One large or several small airtight pots or containers
- A medium sized bowl and spoon to mix the ingredients
- Mix the sugar and coconut oil until all of the sugar is broken apart and saturated with the coconut oil, making sure there are no clumps.
- Choose your essential oils. Use the recipes above or come up with your own combinations.
- Once you are happy with your choice, add 15-20 drops of essential oils and mix thoroughly.
- Add any other natural ingredients or embellishments to the sugar scrub.
- Place your sugar scrub into the containers.
- To use your sugar scrub, apply a small amount to a cloth and scrub gently in circular motions. Rinse with warm water.
It makes a great gift for birthdays and the holidays, and don’t forget-even guys want smooth skin too. Make sure to include a list of the ingredients and always do a test patch to check for skin sensitivities.