If you’re looking for the perfect natural solution that will give you clear, blemish-free skin, consider using witch hazel on acne scars and active acne. Witch hazel contains several compounds including tannins and polyphenols that can heal your skin and even prevent the appearance of breakouts.
Why Witch Hazel Works on Acne Scars
Witch hazel has powerful astringent properties that can remove the excess sebum or oil from your skin. Acne occurs when bacteria and impurities collect in the sebum produced in the skin. Several factors can contribute to this excess oiliness including hormone imbalances and environmental pollution. Witch hazel contains antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and anti-bacterial elements that can prevent the acne. If you do notice the pimples appearing, using witch hazel can cool the skin and calm the breakout and the redness that comes with it.
As a result, the acne calms before it can damage the lower layers of the skin and cause deeper pitted scars that are unsightly and embarrassing. Using witch hazel on acne scars can help tighten the skin so that the scars are less evident. Over time, this wonder product can lighten the scars by healing the skin so that the marks are barely visible.
Choosing the Right Kind of Witch Hazel Extract
When looking for witch hazel products, you’ll come across several over-the-counter brands of lotions, face washes, and treatment gels. Check the label carefully for products that contain tannins and the minimum or no alcohol. The best product is one that says distilled witch hazel extracts or witch hazel water. These products are made by steaming the bark, twigs, and leaves of the plant.
While using the pure form of witch hazel on acne scars is advisable, you can also choose to combine it with other anti-acne products that can raise the potency of your primary ingredient. Like, for instance, add apple cider vinegar, tea tree oil, or coconut oil. Use a ball of cotton to gently dab the witch hazel water on your skin a few times a day.
Rosewater and Witch Hazel on Acne Scars
While witch hazel in its pure form is the best solution for acne and acne scars, try this recipe that also uses rosewater and tea tree oil. Here’s what you’ll need:
- ½ cup Rosewater
- 1 cup Distilled Water
- 5 tbsp Witch Hazel Extract
- 5 to 6 drops of Tea Tree Oil
Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and stir well. Pour into an opaque bottle. Use a ball of cotton to apply the product on your face a few times a day. Placing the bottle in the fridge can add to its skin soothing properties.
Vitamin C and Witch Hazel on Acne Scars
Given that vitamin C can help promote the production of collagen and elastin and repair the skin, it could the best compliment for witch hazel. Here’s what you’ll need:
- ¼ cup Witch Hazel Extract
- 6 drops of Lavender Essential Oil/ Rose Essential Oil/ Chamomile Essential Oil
- ½ tsp Vitamin C powder
- 1 Opaque Brown Glass Bottle
- Pour the witch hazel extract into a bowl along with the essential oil you’ve chosen.
- Vitamin C is typically available in capsule form. Break open a capsule and measure out ½ teaspoon to add to the bowl.
- Stir gently until the vitamin C dissolves completely. You may notice that the mixture has a cloudy look.
- Transfer the contents to the opaque bottle and store it in a cool, dark place.
- Use a ball of cotton to apply the solution on the acne scars.
- Since vitamin C tends to oxidize, you may want to use up the solution within a week which is why you may want to make small batches at a time.
Try witch hazel on acne scars and you’ll soon have clear, blemish-free skin.