Witch hazel, a plant native to North America is one of the best solutions for sunburn. Traditional American Indians have long used it for its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. They used the extracts of witch hazel on sunburn because the liquid could soothe the skin and prevent the skin from peeling and flaking, a condition that typically accompanies a serious case of sun damage.
Choosing Witch Hazel Products for Sunburn
If you’ve been looking for witch hazel products for treating sunburn, know that you may not be able to find it in essential oil form. However, most drug stores sell you distillates of the plant that are called hydrolats or hydrosols. Many of these products could contain alcohol so you may want to check the label of the bottle before choosing a pure form of witch hazel. Make sure the product contains tannins. And, if the label says witch hazel water, that’s the one to purchase.
Making Witch Hazel Water at Home
The best method to extract a usable solution from witch hazel is to steam the bark, twigs, and leaves of the plant. This extract contains a generous concentrate of tannins that can work well on sunburn by soothing the pain, itchiness, and burning sensations. In addition to tannins, witch extract on sunburn is effective because it contains various other compounds like saponins, gallic acid, and flavonoids among others. All of these compounds add to the astringent properties, and you’ll also prevent any possibility of infections.
How to Apply Witch Hazel on Sunburn
You can try several methods to apply witch hazel on sunburn.
- Using a compress, apply the liquid gently on the burned area.
- Get a ball of cotton or piece of soft cloth. Dip in the liquid and dab.
- You can also pour the liquid into a spray bottle along with some water and spray the witch hazel water for relief.
When using witch hazel on sunburn, you need to only apply the product gently. Cover the entire area, but not so much that the water starts to drip. Re-apply at least three or four times a day for 20 minutes at a time to help with the pain and itchiness.
Witch Hazel with Baby Wipes
An interesting factor about using witch hazel on sunburns is that you can combine it with other organic ingredients to make an even more effective solution for sun damage. Here’s what you’ll need:
- ½ cup Witch Hazel Water or Liquid Extracts
- 3 to 4 drops of Lavender Essential Oil or Peppermint Essential Oil
- 2 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Box Gentle Baby Wipes (Consider getting wipes infused with aloe vera that also has skin soothing properties.)
- Combine the witch hazel, lavender or peppermint essential oil, and apple cider vinegar. Stir well.
- Gently pour this mixture on the baby wipes. Allow the liquid to soak into the wipes properly.
- Close the box firmly. You could also choose to place the box in an airtight ziplock bag to prevent the wipes from drying out.
- Placing the container in the fridge is also recommended so that the liquids are more effective.
- When you’re ready to use, pull out a sheet and place over the sunburnt area.
- Use up the wipes within 30 days.
Witch Hazel Sunburn Cream
Make this cream ahead of the summer months and store in the fridge for use as and when needed. Here’s what you’ll need:
- 2 tbsp Clean Water
- 1 tbsp Witch Hazel Water
- 1 tsp Peppermint Oil or Lavender Oil
- 2 to 4 tsp of Cornstarch or Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Aloe Vera Gel
- Combine the water, witch hazel, and aloe vera gel in a bowl and allow to stand for 2 hours.
- Add the essential oil.
- Gradually add the cornstarch or baking soda until the mixture forms a cream-like consistency.
- Store in an airtight container and place in a cool, dark place for the ingredients to blend well.
Use these effective witch hazel remedies and you’ll never have to worry about sunburn again.