Luxurious pampering products don’t always have to be pricey. You can find tons of fancy and expensive facemasks on the market today, but many don’t realize how affordable and simple it is to make your own mask at home. This quick and easy DIY charcoal mask will leave you with silky smooth, healthy skin and a natural glow. Detoxifying bentonite clay and nourishing essential oils add countless extra benefits, as well as the antibacterial benefits of honey. The best part is the ingredients are all natural, so there are no toxic chemicals!
Why use Charcoal on the Skin?
Charcoal is a natural, absorbent material known for its ability to draw out toxins, impurities and other harmful substances from the skin. The charcoal is activated using high levels of heat to create spaces or pores that allow it to absorb chemicals. Charcoal is even used as a treatment for internal poisoning, and when ingested is said to absorb 60% of poisonous materials, preventing the toxins from being absorbed into the body.
Benefits of other Natural Ingredients
Bentonite clay masks are great for detoxing the skin, reducing pores and getting rid of fine lines and wrinkles. A beauty ritual dating back to Egyptian times, this clay is known for its nutrients and ability to remove toxins, chemicals, heavy metals and impurities from the skin. Bentonite clay is a swelling clay formed from volcanic ash. The addition of water changes the electromagnetic charge, allowing it to absorb toxins. Bentonite clay also absorbs hydrogen, which oxygenates the skin cells.
Nourishing organic honey
Honey is a great addition to any natural skincare product as its antibacterial components can help with acne, blemishes and other skin imperfections. Honey is also ultra-moisturizing and nourishing to the skin, which will help the skin remain hydrated by replacing the moisture drawn out of the skin by the clay.
Essentials oils are an added benefit for perfect skin. Because of their composition, essential oils penetrate the skin cell wall and are absorbed deep into the skin. Adding frankincense oil helps reduce fine lines and skin imperfections, lavender is moisturizing and soothes any skin irritations, and tea tree is great for acne prevention and scars. Not only do these oils work wonders for the skin, they also smell divine!
How To Make An All-Natural, Charcoal Mask
- 1 tsp activated charcoal powder
- 1 tsp bentonite clay
- 1/2 tsp of organic honey
- 1 drop of lavender essential oil
- 1 drop of frankincense essential oil
- 1 drop of tea tree essential oil
- 2 tsp distilled water
- Using a non-metal bowl and spoon, mix the charcoal, bentonite clay and water until you’ve achieved a smooth texture.
- Add the honey and essential oils and mix to combine.
- Use your fingers to apply the mask to your face and neck. You will soon notice the mask begin to tighten and harden. This is a very potent, effective mask, so if you notice a little burning, this is just the mask doing its work to remove the toxins.
- Leave the mask on for 20 minutes and then remove by gently scrubbing with a cloth and warm water. The clay mask should be somewhat dry and hard before you wash it off.
It’s so simple to make this all-natural charcoal mask, and the best part is it won’t break the bank! Make sure to do a small test patch to check for any sensitivies you may have to the ingredients before applying the mask to your face. Your face may be a little red when you wash off the mask, but it will be oh so healthy and smooth!