Rough, cracked and chapped lips are a common complaint during the dry, cold winter months. There are many lip scrubs on the market that are expensive or include artificial ingredients and fragrances. But what if there was a way to have kissable, nourished lips using natural ingredients you may already have on hand? Well pucker up! This DIY lip scrub is not only beneficial to the health of your lips, but can also be made in as little as ten minutes using inexpensive, all-natural ingredients.
Natural Products are Great for your Pout!
Sugar may not be the healthiest thing to eat, but it has so many other uses! Sugar is a gentle, natural exfoliator for both the lips and the skin, is inexpensive compared to fancy exfoliating scrubs, and smells divine mixed with natural fragrances from essential oils.
One of the most versatile natural products available, coconut oil is commonly used as a moisturizing base for skincare products. Coconut oil leaves the lips smooth and nourished, and will keep your lips feeling moisturized and hydrated all day.
Honey is a great addition to a natural lip scrub due to its many benefits for the lips and skin. Honey contains antiseptic properties that can provide natural healing for cracked or chaffed lips.
This is the fun part, choosing your own personal fragrance for your lip scrub. Some great essential oils to consider are floral oils such as lavender, chamomile or geranium as these are soothing and nourishing to the skin. Peppermint and spearmint are a fun addition as they leave lips feeling cool as well as having a plumping affect. Essential oils with anti-inflammatory properties such as frankincense, patchouli or sandalwood promote healing of chapped or cracked lips as well as leaving the lips smooth and moisturized. While orange essential oil is a good choice for lip scrub, make sure to avoid other citrus essential oils such as lemon, lime or grapefruit as these oils are photosensitive and can leave lips more prone to sun damage.
- 4 teaspoons of brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons of coconut oil
- 3 teaspoons of organic honey
- 3-5 drops of essential oils of your choice.
- One large or several small airtight pots or containers
- A medium sized bowl and spoon to mix the ingredients
This recipe makes around ¼ a cup of sugar scrub, which can be separated into multiple containers or placed into one larger container.
- Mix the brown sugar and coconut oil until all of the sugar is broken apart and saturated with the coconut oil.
- Add the honey and mix until combined, making sure to avoid clumps.
- Choose your essential oils. Play around with different combinations of fragrances to see what you like. An easy way is to hold two essential oil bottles together and smell them both simultaneously to get an idea of what the blend will smell like.
- Once you are happy with your choice, add 3-5 drops of essential oils and mix thoroughly.
- Place your lip scrub into the containers.
- To use your lip scrub, simply apply a generous amount of the scrub to your lips and rub in a circular motion. Allow the scrub to sit for a few minutes before washing it off with warm water.
This DIY lip scrub is great to toss in your purse for a quick exfoliation on the go, and is a fun DIY activity for the kids or for a girls’ craft night in. This natural sugar scrub makes great gifts for friends or family members, (even the guys)! Make sure to include a tag listing the ingredients, and always do a test patch to check for any sensitivities. Most importantly, enjoy your healthy, kissable, nourished lips!