Have you ever thought of creating your own herb garden oasis but unsure of where to start? Do-It-Yourself projects can be a fun and exciting way to express yourself. A DIY Herb Garden is the perfect project to express your passion for gardening. Whether you have a large and spacious backyard or a crammed city apartment, bring something to life, like herbs. The fresh smell of basil or mint lingering through the air is a great way to start your morning, whether you’re indoors or outdoors. Below are ideas, tips, tricks and kits on a DIY Herb Garden.
Best Herbs for DIY gardening
Choosing the best of things may not always be easy. However, the following is a list of the best herbs for your own Indoor DIY Herb Garden.
- Basil- This herb is always being used in the kitchen, so why not grow your own? Just don’t wait until it flowers because it can lose its smell and taste.
- Oregano- This herb is partial to a warm climate and lots of sun. Enjoy growing this herb indoors and sprinkle it on homemade pizza.
- Parsley- This herb is easy to grow but it needs a lot of moisture and a mixture between sunlight and shade. You can grow the curly or flat shaped parsley, or both!
- Thyme- This herb is perfect for someone who is forgetful. It is a low-maintenance herb that requires little water and lots of sun.
- Mint or Peppermint- This herb is a great addition to your indoor DIY herb garden. This herb is best grown in pots and separately from other herbs because it has an overwhelmingly strong smell.
Tips and Tricks
Follow this list of tips and tricks for a DIY herb garden and you will be on your way to creating a masterpiece.
- Do not start a DIY herb garden if you are not able/willing to keep up with it.
- Start small and then work your way up to planting more herbs.
- Don’t try to master the art of gardening, no one is an expert on DIY herb gardens.
- Don’t be afraid to ask questions to your local farm or garden club.
- Choose the best herbs to grown in your environment.
- Whether creating an indoor or outdoor herb garden, dedicate the right amount of space for your herbs to grow.
- Choose the best soil for your herbs such as Miracle-Gro for Vegetables & Herbs or Universe Organic Potting Mix.
- Make sure to give the roots the proper attention and drainage they desire.
DIY Herb Garden Ideas
If you have thought about growing your own herb garden but unsure of where to start, then look no further than this helpful list below.
- Make your own indoor DIY herb garden by using old mason jars. You can find one of the best ways to create this style of herb gardening here.
- Recycle your old plastic bottles and make a vertical garden. Do something great for the planet and make good use out of old plastic bottles. To find out how to make the perfect vertical garden using plastic bottles then check out this link.
- Make an herb garden using a shoe organizer. You can find instructions on how to build your own herb garden using a shoe organizer here.
DIY Herb Garden Kits
For anyone who has had trouble finding the perfect gift for new and old garden lovers (things they don’t already have), then look no further than a DIY Herb Garden Kit. You can fill an empty potting plant with different packaged herb seeds and wrap the potting plant with plastic wrapping paper and tie a bow around the top. Another DIY kit would be saving old tin cans and spray paint them your favorite color. Then make three small holes at the bottom of the cans. Once this step is complete, then add soil to the cans (halfway) and include a mixed variety of packaged herbs for your intended gift recipient to grow. This way you will have done half the work, but the recipient will have a treasured memory of you forever.
Now that you have read through the essential pieces to starting a DIY Herb Garden, get out there and do it! Share your newfound knowledge with others and in no time, you will have a growingsensation on your hands (literally).