Olive oil for ear infections has long known to be an effective remedy. That’s because olive oil has several natural compounds that act as antibacterial and antiviral. As a result, it can help cure infections and lower inflammation levels. In fact, the oil also contains oleocanthal, a compound that works as an organic form of ibuprofen, a painkiller.
Above all, olive oil is safe so you can use it on yourself or a child. Though, it is always advisable to consult your medical practitioner and explore the causes of the infections before you treat them at home. While you can use olive oil by itself, combining it with other ingredients can improve its potency and effectiveness.
Here are a few methods you can try to help treat ear infections.
Warm Olive Oil for Ear Infections
- Warm the oil in a microwave or on the stove. Take care that the temperature is only slightly warm or you risk burning the inner tissues of the ear canal.
- Test the warmth on your forearm or the back of your hand.
- Lay down with the infected ear facing up. Use a dropper to place a few drops in the ear.
- Before getting up after 5 to 10 minutes, place a cotton ball to keep the oil inside.
- Repeat the process a few times a day until the pain and swelling subsides.
- For more severe pain, try applying a warm compress on the ear after placing the olive oil in it.
Olive Oil with Peppermint Oil
Like olive oil, peppermint oil can also treat bacterial and fungal infections. For this reason, combining the two oils can give you more effective results. But, before you begin, smear a drop or two of the peppermint oil on your forearm to check for an allergic reaction. Here’s how to proceed.
- Make a mixture with 5 to 10 drops of olive oil and 1 or 2 drops of peppermint essential oil.
- Place two drops of the combination in one or both ears for relief from the pain.
- You can repeat this process 2 to 3 times a day until you see results.
Olive Oil and Garlic Cloves
Combining garlic cloves with olive oil for ear infections is another effective remedy that your grandmother has likely recommended. In addition to treating infections, this combination can also help soften earwax so you can remove it more easily. Here’s what you do:
- Crush or mince 5 cloves of garlic.
- Pour 10 teaspoons of olive oil in a pan and warm. Add the garlic.
- Swirl the mixture gently until the garlic releases a fragrance.
- Turn off the heat and allow the mixture to cool completely.
- Strain and store in a dark-colored bottle for protection from light.
- Place a couple of drops in each ear and use cotton balls to keep the oil in.
- You can also gently rub a drop behind the ear for more effective results.
Olive Oil and Clove Oil
Cloves work well to fight bacteria, fungi, and viruses that cause infections. But, they also have antiseptic properties to keep the ears immune from future infections. Combine the oil with olive oil for ear infections, and you’ll have the ideal remedy for the problem.
- Make a mixture of 3 to 4 drops of pure clove oil and 2 to 3 drops of olive oil. (You may want to do the allergy test with the clove oil since it can be potent.)
- Warm the combination a little to allow them to blend.
- Alternatively, you can crush 2 to 3 cloves and add them to a tablespoon of olive oil.
- Warm the oil without overheating for the properties to blend.
- Cool the mixture before placing a one or two drops in the ear.
While these solutions for ear infections are safe and easy to make at home, it is always advisable that you check with your doctor before you use them. All the same, olive oil is well-known for its therapeutic properties.