Is it really possible to remove impurities and toxins from the body using your feet as an exit channel? In recent times, you may have heard a lot of hype about how to do a detox through your feet using foot soaks, ionic baths, foot patches, and various others. While proponents of these strategies swear by the effects, science does not really support the mechanism they talk about. All the same, it would be safe to say that soaking your feet in hot water with certain additives does have therapeutic effects. You can expect aches and pains to ease along with the stress of a long day at work. Here are a few foot soaks you can try that can help you.
Detox with Epsom Salts, Bentonite Clay, and Apple Cider Vinegar
If you’re looking for an effective method for how to do a detox through your feet, try this method that combines all the goodness of Epsom salts, bentonite clay, and apple cider vinegar. Here’s what you’ll need.
- A bucket or basin for soaking your feet
- Boiling hot water
- ½ cup Epsom Salts
- 2 tbsp Bentonite Clay
- 1 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 10 drops Essential oils
- Brush with natural bristles
- An old towel
Here’s the procedure to use:
- Make a paste of the bentonite clay and apple cider vinegar using a little water as needed.
- Apply the mix of the paste all over your feet coating them completely. Allow the paste to dry. This should take around 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add the epsom salt to the water. By now it should have cooled enough so you can slip your feet into it.
- Add a few drops of your favorite essential oils and dip your feet in the water. Keep them soaked until the water has cooled and you can no longer feel the warmth.
- Once the clay has dissolved into the water, use the brush to cleanse your feet gently.
- Wipe dry with the towel and rest your feet awhile for the therapy to have complete effects.
Detox with Herbs
You can also use the healing properties of herbs to cleanse your body. Peppermint is known to act as a cleansing and refreshing agent while lavender is known for its calming and comforting properties. Rosemary works to detox the liver, lower cortisol levels, and improves digestion. Here’s how to detox through your feet using these herbs.
- 1 tbsp Fresh Rosemary Leaves
- A few leaves of Mint
- A sprig or two of Lavender
- Warm water as you can stand it
Roll the rosemary leaves in your palms until they release an aroma. Drop the herbs in the water and swirl them around so that their healing properties infuse in the water. Dip your feet in this water for 10 to 15 minutes. Remove and dry thoroughly. Massage your feet with a scented foot cream or warm olive oil scented with lavender essential oil.
Detox with Baking Soda and Sea Salt
Baking soda is known to help relieve stress and regulate blood pressure. It also has strong antibacterial and antifungal properties. Combine baking soda with sea salt and you need not look further for ideas on how to detox through your feet. Here’s how:
- 1 cup Baking Soda
- 1 cup Sea Salt
- Hot water as you can stand it
Dissolve the baking soda and sea salt in the hot water and dip your feet into the solution. Try and keep your feet soaked for at least 30 to 45 minutes. When you’re done, pat your feet dry. This foot bath tends to relax you completely so you may want to rest for a while. Take a nap or do this detox just before bedtime. Adding a few drops of essential oils is also beneficial.
Just a Final Idea
Before we sign off, here’s another highly effective method you can try. Simply combine a cup of apple cider vinegar with hot water and soak your feet for about 20 minutes. Pat dry without rinsing.